Thursday, January 7, 2010

Anticipation.

Yes, I know it's a shame to neglect my blog for so long. In between planning a ski trip and going on two and finding out I have a "secret" even I was unaware of, I've actually managed to keep myself quite busy over winter break. And now, unlike the rest of you nubs, I still have bunches of work left and 3 wonderful finals to look forward to before fall semester ends.

As much as I would like to rant on how incredibly awesome finals are, let's put the present aside. There's much on the other side of first semester that I'm looking forward to, and I'll list some of them down here, just for the record.


Angel Beats! will air in April 2010!


The latest promo video:

This is officially Key Visual Art's first anime. That name might not be familiar to you guys, but it's enough to say that if I'm a fan-boy of anything, it would be Key's works. Plus the names on the production staff are incredible.


CLANNAD is getting a Blu Ray box set release at the end of April!

Source

Why I'm excited - In the past only international Blu Ray releases of anime could hope for English Audio/English subs. With the release of this series, it will be one of the few (in fact the second) Japanese Blu Ray release of an anime series that will have English subs. We could be seeing a trend here! CLANNAD, along with its sequel CLANNAD ~After Story~, also happens to be my absolute favorite series of all time across all visual mediums (insert more superlatives). Did I mention I'm a Key fan-boy? So yeah, even with the hefty $500-$700 price tag , I'm seriously considering buying the set.


True Tears has gotten the green light for a commercial Blu Ray release in March!

Source

Why I care - Even though this is strictly a Japanese release (no shipping outside Japan), I can't help but feel happy on the inside. Because the original DVD releases of this series didn't even reach the 3,000 sales mark, the producers gave an ultimatum: the release of the boxset will be canceled if the number of the pre-orders are less than 2,000 copies. Nevertheless, this tall order was miraculously met, and I'm happy to see "the forgotten romance anime" receive this much love. Here's a shout-out to the revival of True Tears!


Hey wait! This is all anime related?

Yeah....so by now, you must think I'm some crazy anime addict, and I'll admit I do have a pretty deep infatuation with anime. Even though I don't consider myself a veteran (haven't watched nearly enough classics/anime in general), I've watched quite a decent amount - enough that I'll be lying to myself if I insist that anime has had no influence on my tastes, ideals, habits, and various other aspects of my life.

Which brings me to a pseudo-new-years-resolution on the future of this blog, something I want to try out. Like what Dwang has done with movies, I am hoping to go through chronologically a good portion of all the anime I've watched, but also reflect on just how they've influenced me as a person. Undoubtedly, there will be parts that will sound like a review or a recommendation, but focusing on lasting impressions and how they've affected me will be the primary goal.

After all, a blog is there to help others (and yourself) understand you better, right? And anime really is a part of who I am. It may sound sad at first, but I hope to prove through this, perhaps more so to myself, that spending all that time watching anime hasn't been a completely useless timesink.


Fun trivia (a preview):

Sailor Moon inspired me to compose music for a quite a while.

Hikaru no Go inspired me to pick up Go (something I utterly failed at as a kid) again, and helped me reach 4 kyu (advanced intermediate) in rank.

In the past, no amount of persuasion from my parents could convince me to learn Chinese (I'm a Chinese school dropout). CLANNAD in two seasons accomplished what my parents couldn't in 6 years. (Not immediately apparent but I'll explain when I get to this series)



P.S. Since I really like music, I'll also throw in some music from series which I find particularly impressive. I'll try to stay away from technical terms, but will use them to make a point if appropriate. You might be surprised to know that there are many musical gems in anime that in my opinion could rival classical music in terms of melody and musical ideas.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
In fact, every single piece I've uploaded (and will upload) are from some anime or another.

5 comments:

  1. I still have work to do too >.>

    Also I have wasted so much time watching tv shows this past semester it's sad >_>

    ReplyDelete
  2. high five for short winter breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angel Beats sounds pretty exciting, actually.

    $500 dollars!? That's approximately an iphone +contract.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I didn't realize these were all different animes at first...all the girls look the same. >_>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I guess that's to be expected, since Angel Beats! and CLANNAD were conceived by the same company (but by different people since there are small differences). As for True Tears, I think the hair and eyes are drawn in a noticeably different fashion.

    Yeah...after watching a lot of anime, you start to learn to differentiate by eyes + hair + color tone/shading. It's kind of like what people say about Asians, they all look alike at first. >_>

    ReplyDelete