Today I rediscovered the Mendelssohn Octet, not just as a piece, but as a fond memory.
The first few phrases that the radio played were unmistakable - the melody of the first violin, first part. The notes I remember from nearly four years ago, coming from a room labeled M4 in a not so prominent music wing.
I had become a member of the TJ Symphonic Orchestra right after the so called "Golden Years," but that freshmen year was still magical. Let the music cast it again.
I remember feeling outclassed left and right by the sheer caliber of the orchestra members that year. Literally half of the orchestra members were or would become "Symphonic Orchestra Legends."
I remember feeling intimidated as I was put into the first violin section from the onset. I saw the upperclassmen around me and the "Legends" up front and I wondered if I'd ever get the chance to sit there, if I'd be able to make a name for myself here.
I remember practicing the Mendelssohn Octet, and in the process learned to take pride in the Orchestra.
The two-person bass section that had no trouble making its voice heard.
The massive cello section that function as one, learning difficult passages on sight and head-bobbing in unison.
The impassioned viola section that had members with god-mode switches at their disposal.
The violin sections that knew no technical limits.
And of course Ms. Bailey, our never-tiring and always inspiring conductor.
And the Octet struck it all home. Even divided into eight sections, coordination seemed to be a given. Melodies, runs, and one-note effects were thrown, received, and passed on all around the orchestra like a wind. And we smiled and laughed at how we looked as we played, truly enjoying the music.
Festival came. We performed our best and time on stage flew. I remember no mistakes. We hit the last note and flung our bows into the air. Hold. Wait. Rest. Stand. Bow.
The entire judging panel gave us a standing ovation. That performance immediately became a TJ Orchestra Legend.
I had never before felt so proud to be a part of an orchestra than I was at that moment. I had found the place I wanted to be, and since then never once doubted my commitment to four years of Symphonic.
It's kind of late, but I want to say now that I truly miss the years I spent in TJ Symphonic Orchestra. Those were some of the fondest and happiest high school experiences I ever had the fortune to experience, and they can't simply be replaced by joining another orchestra.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

awwww- that sounds awesome
ReplyDeleteAwww, I miss orchestra dreadfully too, and I didn't even do it in high school, only middle school. It's a wonderful feeling, playing in an orchestra.
ReplyDeleteOrchestraaaa
ReplyDeleteSo good. Godmode switches indeed :D
I guess you lowly violins weren't bad either :P
I should add that half the classical music I listen are pieces that I've played. Sometimes I don't even really enjoy the piece that much. It's just ... the memories that come back with a force. I really think music has that effect - it ties us to the past. It brings back our surroundings, our emotions. And with TJ Symphonic orchestra, those were never anything short of amazing.
ReplyDelete